Monday, December 22, 2003

Teeny-Tiny Tree

">

I haven't been in the holiday spirit this year as I have in past years.  Not sure what that's about.  I love this season.  I love the lights, the festivities, the spirit, the magic.  I love giving gifts - almost as much as I love receiving them.

I don't want to believe my lack of spirit has to do with finances.  I've gone through many holidays without the worry of gift buying.  But I do miss being able to shop freely. I haven't allowed myself to browse my favorite online shop-stops; Amazon, Half, Ebay.  I've avoided all my favorite shopping meccas; 3rd Street Promenade, Target, even the Venice Boardwalk. I've stayed out of every single store this year, with one exception:  Trader Joe's.  How can I overspend there?  It's food!

Well yesterday, at the entrance, were hundreds of these tiny Christmas Trees - all screaming my name, sucking me in with their rich aroma and their "please-save-me-I'm-dying." 

Without touching one, I sneaked a peak at the tag [looking for an outrageous price I just had to pass up].  No such luck.  What I found instead was a "name" and "bio" [quick flashback to the Cabbage Patch Kids craze].  Below the "bio" (which later turned out to be "care instructions") was an incredibly reasonable price!  OH NO!  You poor thing.  You're coming home with ME!

As I put "Stoney" (short for Italian Stone Pine) in his basket I heard feminine cries from across the way, "What about me?"  Her scent was enticing but her adoption rate was just a little out of my price range.  I was already spending $4 more than expected.  How could I justify another $8 for Rosemary?  Besides, she was fresh and young and good to go for years to come.  She'll have no problem finding a nice family, perhaps even a chef, to give her a good home.

So far, Stoney and I are enjoying our lives together.  I'm grateful for his presence in my life and he seems to be enjoying his new home.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

7 comments:

leerluft said...

LOL! that is sooo funny! "Please save me I'm dying." You must have REALLY cringed when I posted the pictures of us cutting down are christmas tree. You have to understand, those are special tree's, bred for christmas. In fact, I hear their cry when I DON'T pick one to take home. okay, that's my excuse..did it work? LOVE this entry freee. you had me laughing and thinking how sweet you must be, to want to adopt a tree. :)

miarenee24 said...

Oh, and one more thing... can't believe I forgot to say that I love your tree!

miarenee24 said...

LOL! Great description! I felt as though I was there...I wish I could live in your head for a day. You are an amazing writer, and it seems as though you just jot it down, and let it flow freely! Such fun reading here, hun. Happy Holidays to you too. PS: Stephen has a little something that he made for you on the way! And he says to tell hunny, HI for him :)

irun01 said...

Well written. It made me smile. Enjoy Christmas Free . . . you deserve it.

slowmotionlife said...

Awwww.. LOVELY. Such a festive little tree! You've got xmas lights all around the room, right? I bet it's beautiful at night with the lights out. So peaceful. I haven't been in the spirit this year either until this weekend. Then it hit me! Just 2 days left! And I'm so much more blessed this year than last year. Because I not only have family this xmas, but I have friends! And you're one of them. So take heart. You've given a greater gift than could ever be found at amazon.com. :)

itsjustusinnc said...

Such a presious entry! How CUTE that they had bios on the trees instead f the price! LOL! Well I know you made one tree a very happy home:-)

Gregg

ggingercooper said...

Funny, I have the same Christmas Tree on my kitchen table! Desperate for a repot, since the roots are growing out the bottom. Into a bigger pot after Thursday to live a hapy life with the rest of my plants!