Thursday, December 4, 2003

Project #1

[continued from above]

This week has been filled with rehearsals, stage prep, begging for volunteers, prop-making, etc.  This is my third year co-producing.  And each year it seems to get bigger and better.  Every year I think, wow, wouldn't it be great if we could do a big group number at the end to tie it all up?  And this year, when I spoke it out loud, Wendy [the originator and co-producer] jumped on the idea with more enthusiasm than me!  Within seconds we had our vision.

I have to say - two months ago, when it was just the two of us talking about this over a hot cup of tea, it sounded A LOT easier than it really is!  Have you ever tried to work with 30 kids on a stage all at the same time? [me neither]  

So, no thanks to me, we've had three times as many rehearsals this year and they run about three times as long.  HA!   Not only are they "lip-synching" but they're learning some major blocking that Wendy sprung on us last night.  HAHA!  Three hours of, "Can we have a break?" and "My feet hurt." and "Can I call my mom?"  And that was just ME!  You shoulda heard the kids! 

I'm not much of a choreographer so I'm the lyrics-person.  We've split the kids into small groups so each only has to remember about 4 lines of the rap - plus the chorus.  They all look at my face when they want to remember their lyrics. [You understand that means I need to know this entire song.  Printed on paper, it takes up two whole pages.]  They sing the chorus louder when I raise my arms.  They paste smiles across their faces when I draw a big U in the air.  At the same time, they're listening to Wendy and her "5-6-ready-go's!"   

It's really cute and I'll admit, it is fun... but it *is* a pain in the ask-me-later when it's all over! 

The show is Saturday night.  It's a contest so we've got "celebrity judges" ready to break their hearts!  That's always the hardest part.  But this year we have great participation awards for all of them.  And I think the group number helps with the camaraderie.  I'll let you know how it goes! 

More about PROJECT #2 tomorrow [I can hardly wait]

7 comments:

gvpagenc said...

"And that was just ME! You shoulda heard the kids!" LMAO! I KNOW you're having a blast Freee! In spite of what it may take out of you physically, there's nothing like these kinds of projects to lift you up spiritually. You're doing a great thing! Whod'a thunk a Sexy WebcamGirl w/ mashed potatos in her mouth would have such a big heart? :-) ROTFL!

Gregg

andreakingme said...

Geeze! I'm getting tired and sore just reading this. But it sure sounds exciting ... and I'm sure it will be more than worth everyone's blood, sweat and tears now.

irun01 said...

You are so awesome to be doing this. Working with kids has it's own way of rewarding us doesn't it. Good for you FreePeace.

ondinemonet said...

I enjoy visiting your journal so much, its wonderful :)

babyshark28 said...

now it's all beginning to make sense to me...wow, you busy girl!! it does sound like fun though. I have worked with kids before..but, not on stage!! my daughter LOVES to be on stage, not me. Good luck on Saturday!!!! :)

chefgracegeorge said...

Bless your heart for enriching the lives of children!
Break a leg tomorrow night!

slowmotionlife said...

Project #2?? Hmmm... Whatever could that be? ::grin::

You're a blessing. Even if it is a great big pain in the I'll-ask-you-later. :P

Can't wait to hear how everything goes!! These entries are great.