Thursday, December 11, 2003

Pounds-Pledge #1

Wow - I seem to have a lot to say tonight!  I'm about to crash but before I do, I'm checking in with the status of my first Pounds for a Cause pledge.

I went to trusty Trader Joe's for the ingredients to SloMo's Texas Turkey Chili.  I innocently asked a friendly clerk, "Do you sell meat?  Like ground turkey?"  He chuckled and promptly guided me to a section of the store I had never noticed before.  He must have recognized the obvious confused look on my face because he asked me to repeat the item in question [in case he misheard me] - I said, "Is this what ground turkey usually looks like?"  He chuckled again.  But very kindly assured me it was indeed what I was looking for.  It suddenly occurred to me that I'd have to look at, smell and touch raw and cooking meat in my apartment.  I almost gagged right there next to all the remains of God's little creatures  ::frown::  But then I remembered I'm doing this for charity!

Strangely the only things they were sold out of were most of the ingredients to this chili.  The onions I wanted were sold out so I got Hawaiian Sweet Onions [my only choice].  Name a bean, any bean, other than pinto, and I assure you, they had them!  Name all the different ways you can serve tomatoes and I'll tell you Trader Joe's didn't have one can of diced!  I figured I'd get those two items elsewhere.  But at the register, I [of course] got to talking to the cashier and he said he was sure there were more that had just arrived, right off the truck.  So I got 'em!  I struck gold with the garlic powder.  One employee said they don't carry it.  I found it!  HA!  [yes, I had to buy all the spices, every last bit...I really don't cook!]

I forgot the cheese [grrr]  I saw later that it's in the recipe but not in the list of ingredients.  So I neglected to write it down.  Ah well.

A double-batch of SloMo's Texas Turkey Chili is sitting on the stove right now.  ::snapsnap::  Hear that?  It's the sound of me taking a picture of it with my new imaginary digital camera!  Oooh, Ahhhh, see that?  It's an imaginary picture of my neighbor's Thursday supper!

I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

chefgracegeorge said...

A regular Martha Stewart, you are!

babyshark28 said...

I had a great time reading your shopping adventure! great entry freee. I'm all caught up in the moment and ready to rush into my kitchen and see if I can scratch together Texas Turkey Chili as well! :) it does look yummmmie...

slowmotionlife said...

ROFL!!! You're such a riot, girl. I failed to mention, and didn't think about it until just now, that you can make the chili without the turkey. You can also get creative and add other veggies in to make it completely vegetarian. [Diced squash and finely chopped carrot works good.]

The cheese isn't necessary.. just a nice touch. You're such an angel for going along with my insane idea. I wuv you. :P

aims814 said...

WOW! I've gotta get on the ball! You've done some journaling here. After I get stephen in bed, gotta come back and do more reading. (bet the chili was yummy!) So sweet of you. Oh, and sweet onions are my favorite onion. That is what I always use for any recipe that calls for onion. Unless I use a purple onion.

itsjustusinnc said...

LOL! FREEE! I've thought about giving the best gift to charity...MYSELF! But I don't wanna catch any flak from you-know-who just because i've finnally decided to be generous. *hee hee* So If'n yer chili doesn't come out right, just let your neighbors have their way with you :-) OK. I think I'm seriously sleep-deprived. I need ot shut-up now. LOL!

Gregg

freeepeace said...

Grace, Martha Stewart, HA! Sharky, did you make the chili? Slomo, yeah, I guess I coulda figured out how to do it veggie-style, but I wanted to make "your" chili for "your" benefit. Kind of a tie-in, you know? Was just fine without the cheese :) Mia, sweet onion was delicious! I'll use it again - I do have one left (lol, guess I'll have to cook again, before it rots). Gregg, WHAT?! lol - get some sleep will ya? hahaha!