Tuesday, December 2, 2003

MRAZ SPAZ

[I can't believe I forgot to post this.]

Last Wednesday I put up the "be right back" sign on the yoga studio door and literally ran to the Post Office to send a package - with two minutes to spare before closing time!

This beautiful man with dreadlocks standing behind the counter, waved me over to him  ::sigh::  I had to fill out some paperwork for the package so we got to talking.  He said something about being an EXTRA (ha!) in Charlie's Angels Full Throttle because they were looking for a "Rasta-type who played bongos!"  ::perk::  I didn't waste any time (the P.O. was closing afterall)  "You play percussion?"  He listed all the great instruments he plays that happen to be on my list of wanna-haves on my CD.  I was feeling lucky, "Do you have samples?  I'm recording and would love..."  He cut me off with even more excitement. 

Long story short:  He's going to send me samples and he's interested in possibly playing on my CD.  The enthusiasm was contagious.  I wanted to shake his musical hands but we settled for touching fingers under the 1/4-inch opening in the protective plexiglas.

Yeah, pretty exciting - at the Post Office nonetheless.  But that's just the beginning.  He then asked, "Have you heard of Jason Mraz?"  ::THUD::  <~~the sound of FreeePeace fainting on the P.O. floor!  I knew what he was going to say, "I played with him a lot before he was signed."   They still hang out together when Jason's in town.  OK, I'm not one to be starstruck [truly] but there's something about Jason Mraz.  I just think he's a lyrical genius with a genuine spirit. 

But wait!  There's more!  Keith [the percussionist] gave me his information and the name of a website that is somehow connected to him - and to Jason Mraz. [not sure of the connection, I was a bit smitten]  But, I do remember realizing I know this guy's didgeridoo player! [small world!]

We talked till well-after closing time.  I got locked in so he had to come out from behind the protective walls to unlock the front doors for me.  It gave us both an opportunity to actually shake hands.

I practically skipped back to the studio.  I love how life is sometimes.

8 comments:

s0ngbird1962 said...

Wow Freee, that sounded almost as great as my date, lol. It really sounds like your journey to the post office led you to someone who'll play on your CD. How exciting! Oh, & to answer a comment in my journal ~~I live about 45 minutes from Boston. I grew up in NH, moved to MA 4 yrs ago. : )

alphawoman1 said...

You never know where or when it's gonna happen! Just want you to know I always read your entries....

chefgracegeorge said...

aww~ that gave me goosebumps!

gvpagenc said...

Yeah it IS great how things seem to fall together--the right people at the right time and so forth! I'm happy for you Freee! Keep on riding the wave of good feelings. It's gonna lead you to success!

Gregg

babyshark28 said...

yea! alright! I LOVE the sound of bongos and didgeridoo's and tin drums and that Rasta sound.soooo coool. I am very excited for you!! see, it's all meant to be...the spotlight is calling your name. ;)

musenla said...

WOW, how exciting! I can imagine how giddy it must've felt to be thisclose--almost--to jason mraz. Life certainly works in funny ways. What a trip.

aynetal3 said...

Free we're so excited for you and your new adventure. Your eyes always seem open to the happening of people and events that surround you. Hehe - this time with dreadlocks no less! You are an epiphany! Our love Ayn

clarity4today said...

I'm so glad things are coming together for you like you want! It seems like you are just at the beginning of an extraordinary event (although you've been working on it forever, I know), and it will be so fascinating to look at things 10 years from now and see how all these little coincidences worked for the greater good. I'm expecting your music to be very successful!