Thursday, December 11, 2003

Lip Sync Contest

">

The stage, set for Pass the Peace - Lip Sync.  As I rummage through my pictures, I realize I didn't take any photos the night of the performance.  I also didn't take any of just the stage.  So I have to show you blurred and purposely visually challenging images [liability/privacy issues]  These are from dress/tech rehearsal.  It would have been insane trying to get pictures the night of the actual show.  My job was to run from back stage to the bungalow across the way, line them up to get on stage...one by one...all the while, keeping them silent.  Yeah right : "Am I on next?  Where's my headset?  I need a microphone!  I'm nervous!  What if I fall off the stage?"  [Again, ALL ME]

The only one who didn't seem nervous or concerned about anything, turned out to be the unanimous winner!  And she knew it!  At first, she was in a group with three others.  They split up because of "lack of commitment" issues. As she was paired with another, the two of them had a falling out the week of the show and split up.  This 5th grader arrived at dress rehearsal the night before the final performance and knocked us all off our feet/chairs/gravity!

If you ever get the chance to watch kids perform on stage, do it.  Even if you don't have kids.  These kids [mostly girls - two boys] put everything they have into their performances.  They are more present and more in-their-bodies than I ever was in elementary school.  Some of these ten year-olds have better moves than I do today [okay, that's not saying much] ... Let's say, perhaps better moves than Gregg does today!  Okay?  Okay!  ::snap::

">

6 comments:

babyshark28 said...

I LOVE talent shows, I get all choked up when I watch the children perform. knowing they are putting EVERYTHING they have into their performance. they are being vulnerable, taking risks, and just plain enjoying themselves....moments to remember the rest of their lives..

musenla said...

Girl, I've read through all your entries since my last comment. You've been busy! I know you had the lip sync contest the same day frank passed away, I feel for you. How are you doing in that regard? I'm here if you need me. Sorry I missed your friend's show, maybe next time. Last but not least, congrats to you and Slo for the impressive new website!

itsjustusinnc said...

Now wait just a minizzle! LMAO! Better moves than ME? Mmmmhmm. I'd have to see it to believe it! :-) That unanimous winner there sounds like my kind of chil'en! LOL! :::sighs:::Ahhh, the glory days gone by...

Gregg

slowmotionlife said...

The stage looks great!!! Your posters were awesome! And yes, kids are the best at stuff like that. They're so uninhibited. They're fearless and spunky. They see everything as fun. Glad to hear all went well!

freeepeace said...

Sharky, I get all choked up too...especially when kids SING! Bring on the tissues! Muse, thanks for checking in. The show was a great uplifting distraction. Reminded me of the cycle of life. Gregg, "minizzle?" With your moves and language like that, you could actually still BE ten years old! LOL Slomo, thanks for noticing my posters! HA! You don't miss a trick! Love you all!

clarity4today said...

Aw, so glad it went well. I love watching kids perform as well. At my former job, we saw an annual talent show from some of the people with mental retardation who belonged to the local MHMR. They are so similar, since they aren't having inhibitions, either. It's so nice to see people perform who really love what they are doing-- of course, I'm sure you know. :-)