Wednesday, December 17, 2003

extra-extra crispy

[Don't you love it when someone begins an entire conversation as if she's picking up where she left off...] 

So, I ordered my lunch from my favorite place. [yum] They know I like my burrito "extra crispy" so they usually leave it on the grille till I arrive.  I thought I'd get two things done at once by popping into the bank across the parking lot to make a deposit.  There was a bit of a line and I didn't need to speak to a teller so I circled the building looking for the ATM.  Huh? No ATM?

It was only a few minutes till I was next in line for a teller.  The customer ahead of me, nice-as-can-be older woman, cashed a hundred-dollar check, and at the last moment decided to put fifty of it into her account.  Transaction complete, she began to leave but made another quick-decision and asked to change her fifty-dollar bill into two 20s and a 10.

Usually at this point I'd be huffing and shifting my weight, rolling my eyes and grunting [I have this really bad habit of talking to myself - full-on conversations]  But this time, all of the sudden, I burst out in laughter!  I couldn't help it.  There I was, laughing and commenting...

Next she wanted twenty dollars in singles. ["Of course! Hahaaa..."]  When she saw that the singles were "crisp and new" she wanted another twenty ["Why not? Heheee..."]  Throwing caution to the wind, she put up her final ten dollar bill for trade. ["Bahahaaa"]  The line was starting to circle the ropes behind me.  I'm sure I distracted everyone from the frustration because all eyes were on me as I was falling over, slapping my knees in laughter.

The customer next to her was replacing his ATM card, talking to managers and signing papers.  He finished before her!  When I walked up to that teller, he was laughing [I think at me] and I said, "I just want to make a deposit."  He said, "Don't forget, you can always use the ATM."  ::thud::  Apparently I only circled nine-tenths of the building!

Needless to say, my burrito is extra-extra crispy!

15 comments:

grodygeek said...

Sounds like this person just might need an excuse for human companionship. Having grown up with retired age people it was something I saw over and over. Hits some empty nesters harder.
Gordy

isabelzmia said...

Hey - but was the burrito GOOD!? lol
xoxoxo - Isabel
P.S. I've missed ya!!

freeepeace said...

Gordy, that's exactly what I thought...she didn't have a care in the world, just loved being out, talking, meeting. Good point.
Isabel - Thanks to AOL's character limits, the final "YUM!" got deleted! Yes, delicious! Nice to see you! :)

mallory4284 said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has conversations with myself. I do it a lot though, not out loud, in my head, but I'll have full length conversations with myself, or sometimes with friends (i'll just make up what i think they would say...) But now I sound like a nut case LoL. I'm glad you found humor in it, because I'm the world's most impatient person. I would have been terribly aggravated!!

diannevan said...

(inflecting Homer Simpson) ::: Mmmm Burrito:::: (damn, now I've gotta wipe the drool off my chin.)

leerluft said...

Well, I am glad you found it amusing. a lot of people would have been all huffy and stuff. good for you freee!

slowmotionlife said...

Burrito.. extra-extra crispy.. Mmm.. ::cringe:: I'm determined to do a Pounds for a Cause update tomorrow and this isn't helping ONE bit! :P

FUNNY ENTRY! I'm a pretty patient person, so these things usually don't rile me up. But I always get tickled when things like that happen. And I'm known to give an eye-roll or two. But I'm not usually in a hurry to get to my burrito, either! And if I was, I think that old lady would hear a groan or two.

Mmm.. Burrito. I'm going to bed

musenla said...

why do the most bizzarrely funny things happen at the bank?! anywho, I always have a book with me for insane delays like those (though the last funny trip i had at the bank was with a guy who chatted me up all the way to the front of the line).

krobbie67 said...

LOL. She sounds like a short-change artist to me. I wonder if it worked for her. Just think the fun you would have missed had you looked at the other 1/10th of the building. --Robbie

andreakingme said...

Heh! A perfect example of the gods (or gremlins) at play. So glad you shared this one, Feep. Ya igget. I should save this entry for when you're rich and famous . . . and then sell it on e-Bay for thousands.

"Read what she's REALLY like!" I'd list in all caps.

i'm kidding ... don't hit me

andreakingme said...

Oh. Guess what? I forgot my purse at the bank once. Didn't even realize it until I got home and heard the message on my answering machine.

Well, I guess if you're going to leave your purse somewhere, it might as well be the bank.

andreakingme said...

One more thing.

I've got the idea that you're sitting in some swanky beach-side cafe typing these entries into a laptop.

Are you?

micheleandres said...

I was thinking the same thing as robbie - quick change artist.
Too funny! made it worth it.

aynetal3 said...

Hehe ... I'm going to be one of those ladies when we grow up. Looking forward to being a "poor" eccentric ... I know contradiction in terms. We practice by becoming more absent-minded every day ... Actually, it's quite liberating! We'll picture you freee as the nut in the nursing home taking long periods of time bargaining to get an extra slice of lime pie. You'd be slyly "winking" up a storm at the "young un" to be giving up the goods! *Giggle*

starlitemaker said...

LOL Freee thanks for the laugh! Inconsiderate woman, just as well she didn't have a big bag of coins to count...LOL