Monday, December 22, 2003

Earthquake

Strangely, while I was posting my Teeny-Tiny Tree entry [see below], I took a look over my shoulder to get a better view of him, wondering if I could snap a clearer pic.  But even with my naked eye, he was blurry.  I shook my had and rubbed my eyes trying to clear the fog but when I readjusted my view, I noticed he was moving, swaying back and forth.  Then I noticed the Christmas lights around the window next to him swaying.  All of the sudden my eyes were drawn to the ceiling lights I'd recently hung and they were swaying away like a kid on a swing.  Then it occurred to me that I to was swaying.  I felt dizzy for just a moment and thought I was about to turn upside down.  Strange.  I knew what it was.  Even though I didn't feel or hear the rumbling from underground, I knew I was smack-dab in the middle of an EARTHQUAKE.

It didn't last long and obviously I thought nothing more of it, until I got in the car and every radio station was talking about it, in between songs.  When I got to the dogpark, a fellow dogwalker said a few people described a dizzy feeling as well during this earthquake.  Strange.  When I got home I found out the tragic details.

I was here ten years ago for the Northridge earthquake.  It was my first earthquake - and it was a dooooozie!  Things were flying off the walls, shelves and furniture were falling to the ground.  It took hours before we could get to the street [apparently the safest place to be during an earthquake]  I remember seeing the flames from the grocery store down the street while talking to my mother in Massachusetts, seeing the same flames on the news.  We had weeks of intense aftershocks.  Following, were months of what we referred to as "baby-shocks" which meant they measured less than 3.0 on the rictor scale.

Article about today's earthquake [AOL-only link]

12 comments:

miarenee24 said...

Okay. Whew... Breathing and relieved that you're okay. I just sent you an e-mail out of panic... I'm going to take a look at that tree now. Thank GOD you're okay. Are all of your friends doing alright?

krobbie67 said...

Glad to hear you are okay. And, I am so glad not to be there. Those things rattle my nerves to the bone and I was fortunate not to experience the Northridge quake. Ugg. Loved the story about Stoney! ~~Robbie

leerluft said...

I heard about this, just now! I am soo glad you are okay. I was in the LA earthquake, that made that one highway collapse...sorry, lacking on the information of that. It was around 1989? anyway...glad you weren't hurt :)

irun01 said...

Glad your OK. Earthquakes can be a little unnerving. You better get used to it though . . because one day, when you are playing at the coliseum. . . the crowd is going to be going so crazy, jumping up and down and clapping and stomping their feet that they will be shaking the whole building . . . . . .

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Free}}}}} so glad you're OK. I've never experienced an earthquake so I can't imagine what you've been through this time or during the Northridge earthquake.

slowmotionlife said...

I've never been in an earthquake so I haven't a clue what kind of terror comes with them. But I can guess that I'd freak out a bit if the ground itself started quaking. Saw all this on the news this evening and Hel screamed from the other room, "That's close to Trish!" Ach! Good to know you're ok. Hope Mara is ok, too.

itsjustusinnc said...

{{{FREEE}}}

I've been in a few quakes while I was out there, but there were all very minor. I saw something about a quake on the Welcome Screen the other day but never ended up checking it out. Glad you're okay. Gonna check the link now. :-)

Gregg

s0ngbird1962 said...

I don't know Freee. This girl from your hometown state thinks I would rather shovel snow, than have earthquakes.... Hmmm, but then you get warm weather all year around. Geez, gonna have to rethink this. Glad all is ok....

ondinemonet said...

I was at my fiance's house during the Loma Preada 7.0 earthquake of 1989. I will never forget that feeling, the roar, watching Cal State Hayward up on the hill swaying. Being a native Californian I am used to them...but my mind always goes back to that one. When I saw Paso Robles on the news last night I couldn't believe it...I have friends there and have been there many times. This has been one harsh December.

chefgracegeorge said...

Talk about rocking the house! ;)
Glad you're okay.
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas girlfriend!

andreakingme said...

Here in the flatlands, all we get is rain and tornados. Tee-hee. Ho, ho. Buh-hut! We did experience the shock of someone else's earthquake about 10 years ago. The windows just kind of vibrated.

Earthquakes scare me to death. I don't know if I could live on the coast ...

musenla said...

Funny me, I didn't even feel this one at all. But I distinctly remember the Northridge one, the water was sloshing out of the swimming pool, it was THAT strong, yikes. Anywho, I'm glad you're ok.