Monday, December 22, 2003

Dr. Update

I just remembered why I am so turned off by this whole thing.  I spoke with the Doctor/Surgeon this morning.  She said, "You may not believe this but I still have a post-it on my phone with your name and number from last year.  You wanted to do something holistic about it right?  I knew you'd get around to calling me."  Although she appears friendly, very upbeat and lively, she's really cocky.  She was the one who scheduled the former MRI and CT Scan.  But today she said, "If the lump is still there, we don't have to do the tests.  We know what it is. [insert speedy-spoken technical medical jargon here] If it goes untreated for a long time it can turn into cancer."

Somewhere in the technical talk I heard the words "one centimeter" so I asked her how she knew the size of it.  That lead to faster-medical-talk.  Last year she said I needed an MRI and CT Scan so they could see details like size, location, growth, matter, etc.  I practically begged for these tests this morning, saying I wanted to know where, what, how... all the stuff she tried to convince me of before.  She said, "Well we know it's there.  Do you want to make an appointment with me so I can feel it and tell you it's still there?"

This is what my mind said:  NO I never want to see or speak with you again.  I want an MRI and CT Scan.  And I want my insurance company to cover the homeopathic medicine that will cure me!

This is what my mouth said:  OK

After all that, I'm right back where I started.  I have a scheduled appointment on January 6th.  See?  THIS is why I need someone with me.

14 comments:

golferguy1878 said...

Hey NO KIDDING....Get a different doctor. That condescending attitude has got to go.
I have read many dietary books regarding the profound effects certain foods (basically vegitarian) have on homornal related cancers. The fact that there is HUGE anactdotal evidence but it doesnt sway most DR's.

golferguy1878 said...

Its Golferguy continued...
You need Western Medicine technology. And insurance will usually cover those costs. But, to really live long and prosper the holistic including mind/body & spirit is the way. But on this path, you need to blaze the trail. Dr's will not go there, and they kind of get turned off when forced to discuss. Don't let that discourage you... but do find a different doc!!!
Sorry for the lecture...the subject is near and dear...

andreakingme said...

2 of 2

If your friend isn't like that, you might make a list of questions to ask and have her write the answers down (you'll never remember 'em). And DON'T let the doctor ride roughshod over you. Doctors work for US. We pay THEM.

Remember that.

andreakingme said...

1 of 2

Yep. I'm the same way. If Ken was here, he'd make some funny crack about me in agreement. The wretch.

Is your friend a nice, but firm, no nonense, take-no-prisoners fighter? That's how I describe Ken when it comes to serious stuff that makes mush out of me. While I'm in my *What's my name again?* emotional mush mode, he does the talking and the negotiating. And thank God, he also has a memory like a steel trap.

sunflowerkat321 said...

Part 2
When you go in - remember that you're the patient, that equals customer. She's being paid and you deserve answers AND to be treated with respect. To bad she feels threatened by your interest in a holistic approach,
Kat

sunflowerkat321 said...

What a snotty attitude this Dr. has. I can't believe that she doesn't have the empathy to sense your fear and concern. It stinks when they throw all the medical jargon at you - it's even more intimidating. You'd think she'd understand that most "mere mortals" would naturally be worried until they have reached an understanding of what's happening.

miarenee24 said...

I agree with Andrea. If you don't have someone to go with you, take pen and paper.. ask her to slow down, how do you spell that, etc.That is why I always want Paul to go with me and Stephen to the neurologist and cardiologist. I can't even remember my own name either! i Go totally blank. Paul is a little cocky right back at them if needed, and remembers everything and explains it to me on the way home.

miarenee24 said...

BTW...this Dr could use some improvement on her bedside manner, but if she's really good in her field, try to ignore her condescension. I know it's hard, but we want a Dr. who KNOWS this stuff, inside and out! Love you!

leerluft said...

scary..makes me wonder if I should have someone look at my cyst. though I don't want them to. I still think it's a good idea to get it removed. Then you wont have to worry about it anymore. right?

irun01 said...

Whatever Doctor you see is OBLIGATED to answering ANY question you have in a such a way that you understand what they are telling you. You are way to strong of a person not to stand your ground and require that they explain to you, and listen to you. Wish we could be there with you . . . . hang tough.

slowmotionlife said...

::sigh:: Sounds like this isn't the doctor for you, girl. If you're uncomfortable with her, consider getting a second opinion. Jan. 6th. So that's just for her to feel it and make sure it's still there??? What a waste. You KNOW it's still there. Grrr.. I'm getting frustrated on your behalf. LoL Let me at 'em, let me at 'em!! ::putting up my little dukes::

It's going to be ok. :)

itsjustusinnc said...

Freee, if'n ya need me to come out there and break my foot off, just give the word! I HATE cocky people :-)

Gregg

s0ngbird1962 said...

I'm glad you're bringing a friend with you Freee. The Dr. does sound like she is lacking in bedside manners. And when she starts talking in her tech.medical jargon YOU slow her down and say, "Please explain that to me in layman terms"....You have a right to understand & it will help lessen your fears about everything. Good luck on Jan. 6th...

musenla said...

I agree with slomo down there, you should consider seeing someone else. Dealing with a health problem is tough enough, you don't need the aggravation!