Friday, December 19, 2003

Doctor Appt. Update

I'm about to cry!  I just got a call from the ENT's office.  They canceled my appointment!  Do they have *any* idea what it took for me to make that appointment?  Do they know what I've been doing to gear up for Tuesday?  ::heavy sigh::

They want to reschedule for JANUARY 9th.  There's no telling what kind of state of mind I'll be in by then.  It's very likely I could skip out on it.  I know me!  So I begged for an earlier appointment.  It's not my fault Dr. E. will be in surgery all day Tuesday.  They shoulda thought about that when they messed with MY schedule!

I talked to Dr. E's personal nurse and asked if I could just schedule the MRI and CT Scan since I skipped out on that over a year ago.  She said, "I don't have your records here.  Why don't you tell me what the situation is."  I told her about the tumor and how I got scared and canceled the scheduled MRI and CT Scan.  She sighed an "Oh God!"

So she's going to see if we can just schedule the tests without having to visit Dr. E. first.  I have to call her on Monday.  Otherwise, my appointment won't be any sooner than January! 

She could've squeezed me in on Monday but I know Cheryl can't make it then [and I really need the support!]  Anyone wanna fly out here to come with me?

Has anyone had an MRI or CT Scan?  What can you tell me about them?  If you have information that will ease my mind about these procedures, please let me know.  All I've heard is it's a long process.  I have to be completely still.  It's claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

12 comments:

irun01 said...

If Babyshark and I could fly down there for you, we would do it in a heartbeat. . . She could hang with you during the appointment, and I could . . . . hmmmmm. . . run along the beach and be ready to greet you both when you were done. Of course I'd be all sweaty and gross, but hey, what are you going to do . . .
Stay strong you. I'll be thinking about you.
I've had an MRI and a CT scan . . . I survived both.

leerluft said...

I have never had a MRI or CT Scan, Rick has...as he has mentioned below already. Regardless how you feel about everything, it's necessary and you will survive it and you will better off in the end. That's my reality quote for the day :) Yes, just like all your friends here in aol-j land, we would be there if we could..maybe someone just might get there. I will be with you in spirit..it's the best I can do. :)

chefgracegeorge said...

[holds Freep's hand]

am4th said...

Dear freeepeace, I have had both and they are not bad at all. With the MRI, you can listen to music of your choice. It is noisy if you dont listen to headsets. Also, they will give you a pill to calm you down if you tell them you need one. The test doesnt hurt at all. The Ct scan sometimes requires an IV so they can have contrast. It doesnt take long to have this test done either.
best wishes, Cindy

slowmotionlife said...

My mother has had an MRI. She's not claustrophobic so it wasn't a big deal. She just had to lay there and be very still. She said she actually fell asleep. The technicians outside laughed because they said they could hear her snoring inside. LOL My understanding is that these tests are extremely simple, painless, and VERY informative. Think positive thoughts. Go into it with the confidence that you're doing the RIGHT thing. :)

grodygeek said...

Trish
I have had both for my lower back due to a bike/car accident. The MRI is noisy so they either give you ear plugs or headphones. You might be able to listen to yourself. If you are claustriphobic there are open model of one of them. I thought the CT was more clostrophobic, but quieter so I just relaxed and it was over before I knew it. I'm a geek and the technology was cool. YOu can do it.
Gordy

itsjustusinnc said...

Well my aunt had an MRI done and she's the biggest chicken in the whole world when it comes to things like that (I'm sure I would be too, I'm just lucky so far I guess). So I KNOW a trooper like you can handle it. YOU'RE A STAR BABY!!!!

Gregg

miarenee24 said...

Hey honey (and hunny!) Stephen and I both have undergone MRI's, countless times Piece of cake, really! Please don't worry over this. They have open MRI now, which means you don't go into the tunnel, but I went in the tunnel and they give you a headset to listen to your fave music, it's over before you know it. CT scan, my friend had it done, she says it's a cake walk too.. so please don't worry, you NEED to have these done. Think positive thoughts!

miarenee24 said...

Dog-gone limits! wanted to add, if I could be there, I would go with you in a heart beat. I'm so glad that you have Cheryl to go with you. There is nothing like having a good friend to go w/you for support. Paul went with me for my 1st one, then when I saw it was easier than I thought, I've gone by myself every time since. Please, keep us updated!

miarenee24 said...

one more thing...ah, see what a support group you have here? :) I see that irun, said the same thing I did! WE ALL LOVE YOU!!! XO!

onmiownnow2 said...

CT Scans are a piece of cake. Just keep your eyes closed and let your mind drift away. No pain, no noise. MRI's are rather noisy and a bit "close" but you get to listen to music on headphones. Why don't you listen to one of your own tapes? Critique it if you will. It helps to be focused on something when you are in a situation that really bothers you. It's not painful... just not someplace you like to be. Good luck! Lisa

raisinglouisiana said...

I can't say anything different than the rest have, the CT (I've had),
and the MRI, yes, is noisy, but again, you can listen to music.
If I could be there in person for you, I would. It's gonna be ok,
and I'm glad you decided to find out more about what's going
on. Just breathe, relax, you can do it.
Love, Penny