Tuesday, December 2, 2003

Creativity ROCKS!

I'm so glad I posted before I left for my recording session.  I got there at 8PM.  MusicMan had a friend there.  They were talking shop [you know, gadgets, horns and whistles ::yawn::]  I still had no idea what I was going to record so he suggested I just pick up the guitar and warm up. 

His friend was fiddling with a bass guitar.  He complimented me on my strumming style.  Nice to hear, considering I really don't know what I'm doing.  He thought I was kidding until he asked me to play an A so he could tune his bass to my guitar.  "Which string is that?"  They both dropped their jaws.  MusicMan refused to believe I was serious.  He rolled his eyes and waved me off.  OK, but his friend still had to show me the A string.  We jammed for a bit. Fun. Inspiring.

I was surprised by the song that wanted desperately to be heard.  It's one of my throw-aways.  It's about six years old and I've played it maybe twice on stage.  It's a rocking, high-energy powerhouse.  At best, I can sing it three times in a row before I go completely hoarse [and blow everyone's eardrums - including my own, with headphones on!]

His friend left and we began recording at 9PM.  After one run-thru for the levels, we did a full recording.  I thought for sure that was a done deal.  I even told MusicMan he couldn't get a better take from me tonight.  We listened to it a couple of times.  I was satisfied.  Great.  Thought I was done.  Suddenly my heart dropped as I realized the very first lyrics I sang were wrong.  Well, what did I expect?  I hadn't played this song in...years.  I almost bailed.  I didn't want to do another take.  I don't even think he did.  But he stood up and placed the headphones on my head, turned the volume up and said, "You can't hear yourself.  Do another take."

I don't know what happened but something clicked and I was ON.  Not only was it a better take, it was the best performance ever!  HA!  Go figure.  The playback filled the whole studio - sent chills down my spine and brought tears to my eyes.  I was/am stunned by how much I really like the song.  I'm afraid it just might be a hit.  HA HA!  Creativity ROCKS!

5 comments:

aynetal3 said...

Ahh, this be then another successful year for the child! Sorry, still being silly! Big thing is how all those years buld (him/her) character and charisma! This one being a 6th grader - you wait it'll get even better than stunning! They get better and better each year. Let go the fear and choose always exhilaration!

gvpagenc said...

Woo-hoo! You go girl! Creativity does indeed rock & you seem to have it in abundabce! :-) "Which string is that?" LMAO! Classic!

Gregg

babyshark28 said...

yea! again!! things seem to be rolling your way these days!! I am really really really excited for you. really. :)

irun01 said...

I can't wait to buy a copy of your CD when it comes out . . . autographed of course

musenla said...

I agree with irun down there, I'm gonna be the first in line for your autograph! can't wait to see you in two weeks, woohoo! =D