Monday, December 29, 2003

California Blizzard?

A blizzard ... in California?!  I saw the headlines on my AOL Welcome Screen and automatically thought this was an east coast thing.  What's up with California and natural disasters this year? Fires, earthquakes, rain storms, mudslides, flash-floods even drought are all to be [sadly] "expected" ... but blizzards?

I know most people think I'm a big baby when I bundle up in fleece, a snow-vest, scarf, hat and gloves - especially since I grew up in sub-degree winter temps.  But, aside from physical pain, there is nothing more uncomfortable for me than being cold!  I work outside.  I have to dress warm.  And now that I read about blizzards up north, it doesn't seem so far-fetched that this past week has felt exceptionally cold for Southern California.

There's a reason I live here... and it ain't for the snow!  Whoever says we don't get seasons, is sorely mistaken.  Our seasons just may not be as drastic as in other parts of the country.

There are times when I miss the fun of the snow.  [note: I said the "fun of the snow" - I do not miss the scraping, salting, sanding, car-stalling, ice-slipping, brain-numbing lifestyle, right there at my front door.]  It's nice to know if I get really lonely for a dose of frostbite, I can drive a couple of hours up the mountains and get a quick-fix!  In all honesty, I've never been to the California snow.  Perhaps I'll get there this year.

A few years ago I spent a winter in the mountains of North Carolina.  The first snow fall was beautiful.  After that, I was painfully reminded about why I choose not to live in it.  The bitter cold makes me crazy!  About as crazy as the sweltering humidity in summer.  The seasonal temps seem to get more and more extreme as each year passes.

All that said, and all that the state of California has seen this year, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we were to see snow fall in Los Angeles this year!  Hey, at least I'll be dressed for it.

14 comments:

robbygoe said...

Okay Last night it was freezing in So Cal. I live in Orange County and I decided to go out last night to the store. There was FROST on my car and the temp was 39 degrees. I couldn't believe it. I do love snow, and it would be awesome if it did snow. I remember it did one time when I was about 5. The snow fell and melted right away before it hit the ground.

miarenee24 said...

I remember I lived in Orlando Fla for a short time almost 20 yrs ago. My first florida Christmas. I swear, I saw a SANTA water-skiing! Hilarious! Then we came to Alabama for Christmas with family and we had ice and cold-rain. (we don't get snow often here, but it gets cold!) I couldn't wait to get back to FL. Okay, It was 53 today. I know folks up North lol at me, but to me, that's chilly! I'm with you. Get that fleece out when it's below 70! :P

irun01 said...

** But, aside from physical pain, there is nothing more uncomfortable for me than being cold! **

I couldn't AGREE with you more on this statement. Being cold actually makes me angry (now is that nuts or what). Dress warm. Buy some fleece. Some rum in a hot cup of chocolate .. . . you know, all the nice winter stuff . . . .

musenla said...

Argh, blizzard, I can't even stand the occasional hail we've had in the last decade or so. You know me, miss tropical girl. I'm freezing my tootsies right now, grrrr.

itsjustusinnc said...

FREEE Honey! I moved to Cali for the weather. I hate being cold too! & had I seen a single flurry while I was out there, I'd've been on the phone to the governor in a heartbeat! Definitely not what I came there for. <---bad grammar, tired. lol And if you come to NC you NEED to come to sunny Wilmington & enjoy the beach! Screw the mountains!

Gregg

ondinemonet said...

Well, they say Hell will freeze over someday...LOL...ducking...I am a Northern California gal to the bone. LOL. Well, Bay Area girl anyway. Be well Trish...Have the bestest New Year EVER...Love,
Carly :)

grodygeek said...

Wussies! Alls of Ya! I love snow. I don't love the sub-zero temps we often get here. I miss the real snow we got in 'da UP. It snowed every day, and not this sub-inch junk like here. Adversity makes you stronger. Gordy

alphawoman1 said...

I love snow...especiallly after a really big "snow event" (can you believe they actually call it that now). Everything is so quiet. Life is slowed down to crawl. Light is muted. Everything sparkles...its beautiful for a moment in time.

dazeychic said...

Aww Freee! Come on! What do you mean!? You will never come visit me up here in Minnesota where the snow covers everything and anything!? hehe. I do not mind the snow one bit...i actually miss it when its gone! YOU would absolutley HATE MN then, cuz not only do we get piles of snow...but in the summer it gets so dang hot and humid you hibernate in the airconditioning! I mean what fun is winter without snow and scraping and sliding and sledding!?::hugs::: ~Shells

babyshark28 said...

wow, a blizzard! I have been in a blizzard a few times. when I lived way up North by the Canadian border. Well, you have your nice new scarf! Yay!

karensull12 said...

I'm with you on this one. I grew up in New England and the snow is nice and pretty and clean for ONE day and then it's just a bother. Give me the sunshine and the warmth any day...

sunflowerkat321 said...

For the most part - I love the snow. It does start to get a little old as winter wears on - and the bitter cold is brutal. But in general, it's so beautiful - especially when it's falling at night, I love it! I really love a blizzard! We get a good Nor'easter here in PA every couple of years. There's something very cozy about being really socked in.
Kat

slowmotionlife said...

Snow, snow, snow!! I've never had a winter of snow. I've seen it, touched it, tasted it. But I've never really LIVED it. I imagine I would probably hate it, same as you. I HATE being cold. It makes me ache all over. I like a nice even 80 degrees. Everyone around me is sweating. I'm like, "Take some clothes off!!!!" Sounds like I'm in a strip club all the time. LOL :P

ng2000news said...

See also: http://www.ng2000.com/fw.php?tp=california