Friday, November 28, 2003

Post-Thanksgiving Day OWIES

Ugh!  I've been sick all day.  I'm sure I didn't eat too much on Thanksgiving.  I did eat a LOT though.  I certainly didn't drink enough (any) water.  I woke up dehydrated this morning.  Nausea, leg cramp, moans and groans.  It's been a heck of a day trying to rehydrate.  The kicker is [and I can hardly believe this myself] I'M HUNGRY!  But I'm not supposed to eat - I'm supposed to replenish fluids.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving though. A fun gathering with Cheryl's family.  Although, Cheryl's mom did panic when she saw the mashed potatoes, "Is this all there is?  We have twenty people coming!  Oh GREAT, we don't have any mashed potatoes."  Now, I know she's not my mother but for some reason I still strive for her approval.  I certainly didn't achieve it in that moment. [strike one]  I also delivered them in a plastic container. [strike two]  "Is there even any butter in them?"  Yes, and we added some in the reheating!  [pop fly - safe at first] 

Growing up having Thanksgiving Dinner in my family, I became accustomed to keeping my hands by my side, sitting in silence, waiting for the blessing to be said, before I was ever allowed to pick up my napkin and place it across my lap. So, there I sat, when I suddenly realized serving plates were being tossed over my head, across my plate, into my arms.  People were standing, leaning, reaching, yelling.  "Do you want gravy?  Who has the salt?  Where's the white meat?  I want the dark. Ooh Cranberries!"  Everyone was eating while passing plates.  It was amazing, freeing and wonderful!

A few moments into the meal, Cheryl read her beautiful blessing.  And soon after that, Cheryl's mom announced to me from across the table, "The mashed potatoes are DELICIOUS!"  [home run!] The best of all worlds!  [I didn't have the heart to tell her they were made with Vanilla Rice Dream.  I was reveling in her acceptance and validation.]

There were three pies, all delicious-looking - but no 'Umpkin.

We went to a dessert party later and still no 'Umpkin Pie!  It's the one dessert I was craving.  Still am.  ::sigh::

Oh, and by the way, there were so many mashed potatoes I ended up taking home the left-overs.

7 comments:

gvpagenc said...

Oooo! More pics from the SexyMashPotatoWebcam Girl coming in our near future then :-) Sounds like you really had a great time Freee! Yay! Sorry you've been sick though. There's just no substitute for water--except maybe Vodka :-)

Gregg

freeepeace said...

LOL Gregg - vodka *was* one of my water-substitutes yesterday.

babyshark28 said...

yea! I love family like that..all talking and chatting..and eating...that's like ours! I am glad you had such a great time. I am sure there is plenty of left over Umpkin' pies in the stores, and cheaper! :) mashed potatoes,mmmm one of my favorites! even with rice dream :)

sepintx said...

I've got 'Umpkin pie in the fridge! Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving!

irun01 said...

Hope your feeling better. Raw Celery and Carrots are a great way to eat and re-hydrate at the same time.

slowmotionlife said...

Other great re-hydrating foods: Grapes & oranges!!! Vegetable broth! Yummm.. ice pops and jello. Hope you feel better soon. I think everyone ate too much!

I'm emailing you some 'umpkin pie, damnit!! That's just not right! Might make for a messy transfer, but it'll be ok. [Who doesn't have Pumpkin Pie at their dessert party??? Insanity runs amuk in California, apparently!]

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Free}}}}} Sorry you didn't feel well. Sounds like you had a good lively Thanksgiving..we did a lot of eating and passings plates, glasses and utensils by each other Thanksgiving day too :) You've got me hungry for mashed potatoes now..I haven't had any in a long time!