Saturday, November 22, 2003

Night Terrors

I live in a secure building.  There's a call-box with a buzzing doorbell for each apartment at the locked front doors.  I was about to go to bed when I heard the buzzer.  It was 1:30 AM.  I'm sorry but I don't answer my door at such a time (call, email, IM - but don't just stop by at that time).  Hunny's hackles shot sky-high and my heart immediately started racing.  The buzzing continued.  Short little buzzes.  Almost as if to say, "Hello?  Is anybody there?  I don't mean to bother you..."  But what I heard was, "Someone's here to kill you!"

I have a roommate.  He's an overnight ER nurse at a local hospital.  I wondered if it was him coming home for a bite to eat, perhaps having forgotten his keys.  At first I thought, It better not be him!  Then I thought how much better I'd feel if it was him.  So I called his cellphone.  No answer.  I called again.  Still no answer.  The buzzing continued.  Hunny's barking got louder...now accompanied by growling.  By this point I was frozen with terror.  It's been a long time since I've felt this scared. I'd forgotten how debilitating terror can be.  All the scariest things go through my head. Every little sound takes on an enormous meaning.  I can hardly move, not wanting to be noticed.

We have an upstairs loft with a rooftop balcony.  I remembered the sliding glass doors might be open.  They'd been open all summer but it didn't bother me till I couldn't get my mind off of the involuntary axe murder scene that kept replaying in my head.  Still I was too scared to go check it out.  I felt much safer hiding behind my bedroom door.  It's a windy night - windows rattling and howling - debris blowing across the roof.  Of course my mind tells me something's up there just waiting for me to fall asleep. What am I thinking?  An axe murderer doesn't ring the doorbell.

~ continued below ~

10 comments:

andreakingme said...

Feep, you nut! But great descriptions of terror so far ...

gvpagenc said...

YIKES Freee! OMGF! Do you still not have any idea who it was? I'm guessing your doggie didn't know either (and they tend to know these things), or maybe Hunny was just reacting that way because you were scared. Bit I think you were quite right in not answering. No one in the right mind would've been ringing your buzzer at that hour.

Gregg

gvpagenc said...

Ooops! There was not supposed to be an "F" in that "OMG!" My bad :-(

Gregg

aims814 said...

I would have acted the exact same way, or maybe even called 911. That's just me, though. Hey, can you e-mail me those videos? Stpehen would love to see hunny, and you, of course :) I can't open from here :(

viviansullinwank said...

My goodness Free...I'm glad I didn't read this leate at night! I got caught up in the terror just reading this. I'm glad nothing happened!

chefgracegeorge said...

But Freeep, what if that was Jay at the door? D'oh!

s0ngbird1962 said...

Oh (((Freee))).... I had a scare once like that years ago, but he kept coming back for a few months scratching at my bedroom screen, trying to pry off windows, banging on the house, etc. Still have some anxiety when I'm alone & still can't look out the window when I hear footsteps in the night.

babyshark28 said...

LOL! That IS scary! Loved the way you told the story, I was at the edge of my seat...with laughter! :) you super girl...

jellybean1437 said...

ACK! so scary........i probably would have called the cops or something....scared out of my wits! lol
-*-Kayleen-*-

amk829 said...

If that happened to me, I would die. LOL, but I guess that doesn't help you much! :-)