Tuesday, November 18, 2003

EXTRA!

">

My best friend, Cheryl, called me from the Venice Boardwalk while walking her dog, Opie.  There seemed to be a lot more action than usual for a Tuesday morning.  I could hear the beat of hand drums and people rustling around her as she walked.  At first she thought maybe there was a skateboarding event about to happen - maybe some live music - but then she noticed all this "really nice furniture and stuff."  It immediately became clear she was standing among a film crew and scene props.  We both had the same disappointed reaction.  We thought there was something actually exciting going on.  There's something really annoying about a film crew in your 'backyard!'  So many egos. We can't walk out our front gates because we'll interrupt filming!  Gimme a break!

Cheryl continued her walk up a public street through a crowd of background actors (extras) in their holding bin.  Extras are the worst when it comes to inflatable egos!  They know they're the lowest in the pack but they'll do anything to make us think otherwise.  Calling one an "extra" to their face is like calling an environmental control manager a garbage-man.

About 6-feet away from the crowd, a woman began walking toward her, holding her nose and waving her hand in Cheryl's face, with this pretentious uttering, "You know what, I'm allergic to dogs [shooing Opie] so will you walk somewhere else?"  God love Cheryl - the most spiritual person in the world.  She taught me everything I know about peace and love.  But when you're in her territory, don't mess with her.  And whatever you do, don't mess with her dog!  Her sarcastic pretentious reply, "You know what, [shooing extra] you're just an EXTRA in this movie!"

God, I wish I was there in person.  But it was just as fun being on the phone!

8 comments:

diannevan said...

Well, there ya go. That's the difference between living in Los Angeles, California and living in Dover, Ohio. The only cameras that come out around here are held by tourists taking pictures of the Amish Buggies!

derossetfamily said...

Thats hilarious! I bet you were dying on the line, I love moments like that.
~Mary

babyshark28 said...

lol! that is sooo funny. I always admire people who can think on the fly and be so witty. not one of my strong points. It sounds like it's rather annoying but exciting living around your place! I guess that's LA for ya. As always, great entry, thanks for sharing it. :)

chersypie said...

Hi licious,
I didn't exactly say that to her face, I called you instead.
xoxo

irun01 said...

What a great story. I love hearing things like that. Thanks for sharing . . .

slowmotionlife said...

Cheryl is BEAUTIFUL! What a smile. And I really love this story - not only because it's funny, but because I really get a sense of what your friend is like. You're such a talented writer. Silly extras!! LoL

musenla said...

atta girl sheryl! there are so man inflated egos in LA it's unbelievable. somebody's gotta burst their bubble once in a while!

gvpagenc said...

LMAO! Yeah! Screw extras!!! I still have a bit of a soft spot for LA in my heart, lots of fond memories, but you couldn't PAY me enough to live there again. Amen Muse! That's definitely the Pretension Capitol of the world.

Gregg