Monday, September 29, 2003

Time and Age

Time is ageless - Age is timeless.  If you have a few extra minutes in your day, do a random search through AOL Hometown Journals.  There are some fascinating people with extraordinary stories to share.  And really, these people are just like you and me (some actually are you and me).  The only thing that seperates us is our experiences.  There's the very creative (and very friendly) 7th grader, sharing about life, his family, friends and school.  There's the first-year college student, trying to find his place in the world.  There's the beautiful, heart-wrenching story of a woman's 4-year struggle with illness and infertility.  And there's the middle-aged, ex-hippie/baby-boomer's catapult into adulthood.  And really, that's just the beginning.

It's a bit of a strange thing - this time and age.  I mean, what did we ever do without the internet?  How did we get our information?  I don't even think twice about where I'll find the latest news, weather, tv/movie schedule.  And directions?!  I rely on map searches so much that I get frustrated when I'm in the car because I don't have access to them!  Just about everything I do is dependent on the internet.  But I'll tell you, this really quenches my thirst for immediacy!  I love having everything I need right here at my fingertips.  I'm on a cable modem - but even that gets sluggish... and I get so frustrated.  I mean, come on!  It sometimes takes a whole 12 seconds for the public library page to load!  In those moments, I don't think about the fact that in the past I would have had to actually drive to the library to renew my books.  Hello!

2 comments:

chefgracegeorge said...

You didn't mention the 37 year-old, divorced mother of two, with two cats and a gay side-kick. Tee hee. Thanks for visiting my blog Freeepeace! I'm enjoying yours, too!

freeepeace said...

oops, almost forgot to mention the 37 year-old, divorced mother of two, with two cats and a gay side-kick. Check out the link to "Blah Blah Blog" in Other Journals. It's well written, candid and refreshingly funny. ~peace all~